APRS v1 Page 2

From whuckaba
Jump to: navigation, search

Back to APRS

KC5QYO-14>APT310,WIDE3-2,qAo,KC5EVE-12:!2938.21N/09514.01Wk360/000/A=000036/All I want is APRS-IS

Whats wrong here?

Building Try 1

November 7th, 2003

http://www.whuckaba.com/aprsproject/small/DSC01158.JPG How it comes to you!
http://www.whuckaba.com/aprsproject/small/DSC01159.JPG PCB and PIC
http://www.whuckaba.com/aprsproject/small/DSC01160.JPG Back of PCB
http://www.whuckaba.com/aprsproject/small/DSC01161.JPG IC socket starting to be soldered in
http://www.whuckaba.com/aprsproject/small/DSC01162.JPG Capacitors
http://www.whuckaba.com/aprsproject/small/DSC01163.JPG 10mhz resonator, power regulator, transistor
http://www.whuckaba.com/aprsproject/small/DSC01164.JPG Audio Out Resistor Ladder
http://www.whuckaba.com/aprsproject/small/DSC01165.JPG All the pretty resistors
http://www.whuckaba.com/aprsproject/small/DSC01166.JPG Diodes and Potentiometers
http://www.whuckaba.com/aprsproject/small/DSC01167.JPG dB9 etc
http://www.whuckaba.com/aprsproject/small/DSC01174.JPG Original housing design, maximum on-the-go configurability

Porting comment: Actually now I am kinda sad about not taking pictures of the closed box. It is funny to think back 7 years ago to when I made this. The box design actually probably would have looked 'ok' once it had been closed, but it was getting to be a mess, and somewhere in all this I missed checking the voltage somewhere and when i first tried it, it fried the poor little chip. So I ordered a second, and just built it exactly to specification, to start from ground zero...

Try 2

http://www.whuckaba.com/aprsproject/small/DSC01183.JPG Power?
http://www.whuckaba.com/aprsproject/small/DSC01184.JPG Ptt.
http://www.whuckaba.com/aprsproject/small/DSC01185.JPG CD
http://www.whuckaba.com/aprsproject/small/DSC01186.JPG GPS ok
http://www.whuckaba.com/aprsproject/small/DSC01187.JPG Figured it out yet?
http://www.whuckaba.com/aprsproject/small/DSC01188.JPG Yes, thats an Altoids Box with connectors!
http://www.whuckaba.com/aprsproject/small/DSC01189.JPG The "does it work?" mess. (see below)
http://www.whuckaba.com/aprsproject/small/DSC01189b.JPG Does it work? (see full bits below,

Here is the letter list.
A: Rundown, broken computer chair
B: Lonely Ringo in the corner
C: Power Supply 13.8v 20amp
D: Telescoping camera mount
E: Pre-worn clothes decorations
F: Entertainment central
G: Rubber ducky antenna on extension
H: Icom IC-02AT xmit
I: Garman GPS
J: Icom IC-T81A rcv
K: Shoes didn't make it far
L: Altoids Box
M: Wire strippers, wire, tools, etc
N: Keys
O: Wallet

P: Not connected
http://www.whuckaba.com/aprsproject/small/DSC01192.JPG Testing configuration
http://www.whuckaba.com/aprsproject/small/DSC01193.JPG You might think this was made for this.


While I won’t go into the whole details of how I got to today, I thought I’d share the highlights of the last few days working on my APRS tracking beacon. I’ve been using UI-View32 with APRS-IS servers (internet based) to watch the local activity around Houston. I put ran the TT3 configuration software and validated that it was putting out the two tones. So I packed it away in an altoids box. Reasons for this will become apparent as the project progresses. Anyhow, I attempted to signal on 144.39, but no packets made it to the internet. I figured it was just due to being inside my apartment so the next morning I put it in my truck to do a test run while going to work. Sadly no response. So I talked on the yahoo support forum, and found the best way to validate the unit would be to check its decoding. Well I don’t have a tnc, but then again, I do. I have a great TNC ... a 2.0 GHz TNC :) .. well okay… I have a software client program that uses the power of the PC to decode the packet transmissions. While it isn’t as nice as a real TNC, it works just fine. So I set up the mess of my apartment as seen in the last photos. Basically a 9volt battery and GPS are connected to the altoids box, which is connected to the IC-02AT. This (in early testing) transmitted starting into the air via rubber ducky. This was then received by the Realistic PRO-67 scanner, and IC-T81A HT. The T81A HT’s output was connected to line in on the soundcard, was decoded by AGW, and then displayed in UI-VIEW. And, after playing with the output levels just a bit, a perfect decode. So again I tried 144.39. No luck. So I went out to the truck and brought in KC5ZRK’s Ringo 2m antenna. Propped it in the corner, and tried again. Then put the output through the linear amplifier, still no luck. So I looked into the digi-paths. Finally, after playing with it, I chose “WIDE3-3”, and the air-waves smiled, and KC5EVE’s RF-to-Inet gate bounced me into the real around 7:30pm.

So I am hoping with the new digi-path settings, I’ll be able to get on the road and try again. We’ll have to see if 3-5watts with a rubber-ducky provides significant coverage or not. I might hook it up if I go to the ham convention in the morning. It would be a good test of the genearl usage I have of the road-ways. Still left in this project is the second altoids box (parts still on the way), and getting the parts all put in my truck in a nice way.

I also intend to put up more ham radio links, and pages relating to APRS in the near future, but at the moment I'm running low on sleep, as this project has been keeping me up late at night. This will also include the maps remade to look better and function in an understandible way.

Quick links:

Some or all positions may be invalid. (Port note: Since 2003 when this was written, the use of the SSID to define TYPE of vehicle has difted out of favor, due to tactical calls with the type of vehicle being set in a identifer char in the output string. )